Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The English Language


Starting a New Year breeds reflection...obviously. Well, I've done some reflective thinking about the English language. For those who know me, I'd assume you recall that there are a number of words that I am not a fan of in this worldwide dialect. The list is ever growing, and I'm sure that I've missed some along the way... which I will elaborate on at a later date once we have compiled more. Some may not be 100% G-rated, so my apologies... Shall we begin?

Moist - one, if not the worst word I can think of. Never a good use for this, even when talking about cupcakes, or a slice of birthday cake.

Orifice - It might share the top spot with "moist" and when you combine
the two... it's appalling.

Milpitas
- So it's a town with the Great Mall, who-ho! Let's face it. This sounds like an STD that you would be embarrassed to admit, even to your physician.

Schmere - so some like it on bagels, but frankly, this word is gross. I don't want "schmere" on anything I am going to ingest.


Wharf - Living in San Francisco... working in a hotel... I have to direct people to the Fisherman's Wharf everyday. And anytime I say it, I want to throw up a little. It sounds bad, and can be a physical struggle to get out.... everytime.

Ointment - I feel like 'oinking' when saying this. It's a strain to say, and whenever you have to use it, it's usually not a good sign. Maybe you should get some in case your "Milpitas" starts to flare up again.

Chaffing - never good. end of story. you know it's not a good thing, and never will be. Plus the sound of saying it isn't pleasant.

Areola - seriosuly. say it out loud. It may roll nicely with the vowels but sou
nds like nothing more than a pasta noodle.

Vulva - It's not a car, and something I want nothing to do with. Plus saying it is terrible. Try it.

So there it begins. Some of the words that I am not fond of in the English language. Please, do share with me any that you can think of holding a special place in your heart (You may just help me in adding to this list). Eventually I'll share the combined words that s
hould never be placed together... those can become down right offensive.

Hopefully this year, a majority of these words will disappear from mine... and everyone else's vocabulary.

Here's to hoping!

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on moist and schmere. Anyone for some moist bagel schmere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! Unfortunately, no matter what - I'm stuck with Vulva and Areola for life! Smegma needs to be added to your list. oink ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Chris. I have now newly adopted the words "moist orifice" hahaha

    ReplyDelete